By Doris Li, Director of Marcom, Australian Business Forum
365体育投注Australia Chinese Business Women Association recently released a research on Engaging Chinese Community. At the research launch, Dr Anne Pang from ACBWA said one thing that really impressed me. “Why does Victoria government send delegation to China to seek wealthy investors, as we (wealthy Chinese) are already here?"
365体育投注As of 2011, Australian residents identified themselves as having Chinese ancestry make up around four percent of Australia's population or approximately 865,000 people. I'm not able to find more recent figures but I believe this number would keep growing.
365体育投注The key findings from ACBWA's research report present some problems experienced by the Chinese community, including:
- Language and cultural barriers and which limits their ability to navigate the Australian system. There is an internal cultural issue where seeking help is sign of weakness and therefore many do not ask.
- Lack of information provided to them in accessible manner has meant that the Chinese understanding of Australia is through the lens of the filters (e.g. Chinese filters, their limited network of friends).
- Settlement issues limit their own contribution to the Australian society, both economically and socially, despite the fact many have the desire to do so.
- Lack of funding and appropriate venue for organsations to conduct their organizational activities which if often the only social avenue they have and which creates social isolation.
- Lack of culturally appropriate aged care and seniors programs for the elderly which is urgently require attention as many Chinese people are aging. The Australian Government is aware of the aging problem as a nation, but not enough is done looking at the needs of culturally diverse communities, including Chinese people.
- Difficulties in finding employment in the same field for younger Chinese creating a social divide and many have experienced discrimination in the workplace.
- Parents would like to maintain education to young people about Chinese culture, however, they are also conflicted because they would like their children to speak fluent English in order to compete in the Australian society.
365体育投注Definitely some learnings for the marketers wanting to engaging with this large community.